Do you have Youtube videos on your site? If so, when the video ends, does it display thumbnails with “related videos”, like the ones shown here? These thumbnails can take your visitor away from your site and most site owners would rather they did not display.
If you haven’t added the video to your site yet, here are the steps:
- Visit the video on Youtube
- Click on SHARE
- Click on EMBED
- Click on SHOW MORE
- Make sure the checkbox is NOT selected, next to SHOW SUGGESTED VIDEOS WHEN THE VIDEO FINISHES
- Copy the iframe code
- Paste that code into the Source Code, or TEXT area of your web page.
These screenshots may be helpful:
If you already have the video in your site, you have a few options.
- If you are using the iframe embed code, you have a simple solution. Just add ?rel=0 to the end of the URL for the video, making sure to not add any spaces.
- If you are using just the SHARE URL, without the iframe embed code, you need to start over replace that URL with the first set of steps listed here.
- If you are using WordPress, you can search for a plugin that automates this for all youtube videos. On this site, I’m using the plugin called Hide YouTube Related Videos. It makes my life extremely easy, because it works when I put the simple SHARE URL in the post.
These steps should block those pesky related videos thumbnails. Please feel free to ask us a question in the comment field below.